Sunday, March 27, 2011

the good kind of high

I've forgotten what it feels like--the post workout high. It feels AMAZING! I've been (once again) feeling really dizzy the last few days. I could barely even drive back and forth to work, and yesterday I didn't drive at all. I am sure that a big part of it is my blood sugar. Not only do I feel more sensitive to blood sugar changes, but I also feel low, dizzy, etc. when my blood sugar is within a normal range. I used to rarely have a high number, especially not a # in the 300s, and for the last year or so, it seems that I reach 300 almost daily. I am now working hard at having more stable numbers (like I used to), but it is really difficult because in the meantime, I feel like crap and it's been a struggle to ride it out and tell myself that my body will get re-adjusted to those more normal numbers.

Does anyone know how long it takes to not feel like crap while your body is re-adjusting to those "lower" numbers? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I know that this is my doing...I was the one who became more lax about my diet. I was the one who decided I deserved to indulge more during the holidays, which then carried into my regular diet. I was the one who started craving more sweets and decided to buy ice cream pints and eat the entire thing in one day. Although my diet has gotten back on track (mostly), my exercise routine has not. I used to be the person who worked out almost every day. At some point within the last 6 months+, I started putting in more hours at work and I started getting dizzier, and the thought of working out seemed like too much work. All I wanted to do after work was go home, lay down on the couch, and get something to eat. This unfortunately turned into a pattern...a very bad pattern, and it's something that I need to change because working out feels so good. Not only does it help stabilize my numbers, but it puts me in a better mood and makes me feel more mentally strong instead of wanting to collapse when the littlest thing goes wrong. It keeps those negative thoughts from spinning out of control and taking over. I know this, and now I just need to put it in action.


3 comments:

  1. I know completely what you mean. I started working out and it was one of the best stress releases I found!! I am sure once your body gets used to being in normal rage you won't feel so crappy. It is probably tricked to thinking that 300's were normal so you probably just have to retrain your mind to know what numbers are normal. Hang in there and let me know if you ever need to vent :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure...since I don't have "D"...but I thought that I heard that it takes a couple of weeks for your body to re-train when trying to run higher to feel lows and vice - versa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad You enjoyed the workout.

    ReplyDelete