Wednesday, March 9, 2011

dinner plans

It's come to my attention recently that I still kind of eat like a college kid, especially when it comes to dinner. I'm not saying I eat ramen every night, but I don't put a lot of time or effort into my dinner. I take the time to make and eat a wholesome breakfast and lunch, but by the time dinner rolls around, I put together whatever is fast and convenient. I don't always eat a snack btwn lunch and dinner either, so sometimes I go 5 hours without eating and that really doesn't cut it for me. I used to eat big meals every few hours, but lately I feel like I need smaller, more frequent meals.

I find that when I don't have a plan and I'm tired and hungry, the last thing I want to do is put together a well-rounded dinner when I get home from work. The sad thing is I have tons of recipes saved--even recipes that claim to be quick and easy--so what's my deal? I just haven't had the energy lately. It seems easier to just make a sandwich wrap or mindlessly graze, which ends up being bad because I seem to no longer know how to give myself insulin when I do that. I seem to have no idea of how much fat or protein I consumed and what to do with my bolus. I'm not sure I even knew protein played a part until I read about it on a blog somewhere! The worst part is I feel guilty for being so lax about it and letting my blood sugars get into the 300s.
I feel guilty just writing that.

I know I need to start planning my dinners. I know this, but I don't do it! All I can do is take baby steps, I guess...maybe plan out dinner once or twice a week. I should mention that my parents live pretty close and I have dinner there at least once a week, and I know I will always eat well there...and the bonus is that I don't have to do anything! :) I also know that I need to start an elimination diet...and that will take even MORE planning. It's hard to put in the effort of planning when you have zero energy.


2 comments:

  1. It is definitely hard. At least if you buy some good ingredients at the grocery store you might get your mind working ahead of time, so that it's not so hard to think when you're too tired. Good cooking always a time challenge. That's why we unfortunately oscillate between really good home cooking, frozen pizza and McDonald's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make a date with yourself and the meal mommy website and let us know how you do planning for the week! im in a bind trying to prepare for a carnivorous husband, a diabetic toddler and 2 fussy kids. luckily i eat everything in sight!

    ReplyDelete