Monday, May 16, 2011

late-night munching

Before I start this post, I just have to say that my apidra and sensor have been playing very nice the last couple days. The apidra seems to be catching spikes (at the moment) and the sensor has been pretty accurate and helpful. I'm still unsure of my feelings about the Medtronic sensor though...maybe one day I can get a Dex to compare them and know for sure.

Anyhoo. This question has been on my mind for a while now after reading some blogs...do you participate in a late-night snack on purpose? I remember when I was first diagnosed and learning a shit ton about diabetes, I heard that a bedtime snack can be helpful in maintaining blood sugar levels. SO I did that, until it didn't really work for me to do that anymore. I now only participate in late-night snacking when I feel like it, or when I need to for low blood sugar purposes. I'm just curious if it helps your blood sugars or not. For me, personally, I don't want to wake up with a high AND I will admit, I'd rather not have IOB (insulin on board/in my system) when falling into a deep sleep. My body has woken me almost every time I've had a low in the middle of the night (which is not often), but the thought of me unable to wake up is somewhat terrifying. This is why it can be comforting sleeping next to someone, especially someone who goes to bed later than you and hears your sensor going off before you do!

Sometimes, the thought of insulin working away in my system scares me. I try to tell myself that my pancreas did it all the time, and I was never scared then....then again, my pancreas is SUPPOSED to know what to do at any given moment...that was its SOLE FUNCTION. I never knew how hard it had to work. And now that it has failed me, I have to do all the guesswork and though it's "easy" sometimes, it's also hard, scary, overwhelming, etc. the other times. Most of the time it's just second nature, but there are times when I just can't help but think of all the extra work and effort I have to put into keeping myself healthy and alive. If I think too much about the thought that I have to keep myself alive every day, I feel defeated, depressed, paralyzed. I can't think like that, otherwise I wouldn't be able to keep going.

It's funny how easily you can go to a dark place because of diabetes! I started off with the topic of late-night snacking and then went to the daily struggle it can sometimes be. On the outside, I may look healthy, happy and just fine...but on the inside, the death of my pancreas is something that I will never completely get over.

5 comments:

  1. No...on the purposeful snacking. When Joe was on shots we did, but we stopped once the pump started. I don't like messing around with ratios and IOB at bedtime (either)...someday I am sure I will have to figure that out as he ages and wants to snack in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of mixed opinions on this topic. I agree with my buddy Reyna. I find if on MDI it is sometimes important, but who can only eat 15-20 gms. Once pumping, no snack unless you feel like munching. Now with Lantus, and Levemir, I find most folks don't need any carb at bed. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We give milk before bed because of recurring hypos unless he has low GI food he doesnt hold, but we are on MDI!

    you blog needs to take you to all those scary places to talk it through. you cant carry it all alone, its ALOT to deal with. i cannot imagine being a PWD im a parent and its hard, udoubtedly. i look up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby tends to just do what his body needs. He gets lows at certain times of the day and then it seems all the sudden, his body decides to change when his lows are, without any insulin changes, so he only does a bed time snack when he finds he is in a rut and needs it...also, I know what you mean about looking fine on the outside. Even though I am not the diabetic, I still relate. I am fine on the outside but my hubby's med issues stress and worry me 24/7 on the inside. No one really knows how I am feeling or what is constantly going through my head, except you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not on the pump, I inject NovoRapid insulin during the day and Lantus before bed. Late night snacks ALWAYS make me end up with hi blood sugars come morning, which means I feel rubbishy and it spoils my day.
    If I am low before bed or late at night I will have a couple of glucose tabs and a small bowl of porridge (oatmeal) and that usually stabilises me for the night, waking with bg's of around 6.5 :)
    I know of that dark place that diabetes can take you too, but persevere! You seem to be handling things brilliantly. Great blog too! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete