Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Big decision

So my next big "D" decision is what kind of CGM I want. Do I go with the Medtronic sensors that link to my pump? Or do I go with the Dexcom that I hear everyone blog about? I guess I need to do some research and maybe make a pro/con list. I remember 3 years ago, when I was deciding which pump I wanted...I still wonder if I made the right choice! At one point, I even thought of switching over to the Animas Ping. Currently I am thinking of upgrading my pump since I am still under warranty and it sounds like it has some improvements that may also work better with the CGM sensors.

I am mostly just eager to get going on this whole process! I talked to my endo to see if she thought I would need a letter to help prove "my case." She said that the CGM data had 2 nights of me going low at night/early morning, which should be enough. She also recorded in my chart that I was having trouble distinguishing the lows, and that should also go in my favor. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. Glad it sounds like you can make a good case! We are going to be thinking about a pump soon, so we have decisions to make too. And, even though I hear a lot of good things about the tubing pumps, I think I'm really thinking wireless = omnipod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valerie. Thank you for the thoughtful comment on my repost about lows. I am always so grateful for a PWDs input on this stuff. I learn so much from you guys.

    On CGMS...we tried the Guardian - hated it. I found that it was difficult to calibrate, not terribly accurate, and it had a huge insertion needle...I think they are working on the insertion needle (it may already be smaller) and the calibration...I hope they worked on that.

    Dexcom is our CGM of choice...easy to calibrate, fairly accurate (I use it more for trending), and smaller insertion needle.

    Good luck on the CGM adventure!

    ReplyDelete