Monday, February 21, 2011

10 times

That's how many times a day I've been poking my sweet little fingers. OK, it's not always that many, but more often than not, it is. In the very beginning, I used to test 4-5 times a day. Once I incorporated workouts into my daily routine, it was more like 7. Now, as I've had a harder time managing my levels, it's been closer to 10. Sometimes it's even more than that because I can't tell the difference btwn having low blood pressure and low blood sugar. I know I am obsessing somewhat, but I'd rather be reassured!

Having enough test strips is like having enough water, or having enough food. I never used to run out of any of my diabetic supplies, but the last few months, I've been running out of test strips. I had to ask my endo to up my prescription so that I could get more...and even that wasn't enough! I had to ask a relative with type 2 for any extras; she always gives me several boxes when I ask, but I feel bad asking for them too often. I have enough for now, but I'm worried I won't make it to my next shipment. In fact, I know I won't at the rate I am going!

I hate the thought of not being sure if I'll have enough. I want to have enough of everything I need to manage my levels. Also, it's been almost a week since I sent in my paperwork for a CGM. Medtronic told me they weren't sure how long it would take, but I am hoping it doesn't take more than 2 weeks. I'm starting to get antsy!

4 comments:

  1. The funny thing is even with a cgm, you test like crazy, because you want to know if it's accurate. It's too bad they are so stingy with strips. Our 300/month are not even enough. We need 400. We use at least five strips during the night alone. I'm always amazed at the people who say they test 3-5 times a day. I guess they just know their bodies? I would think d was still too unpredictable though...Nice to see your smiling face, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed by that too! After reading some of the parents' blogs, it seems like children are prone to fluctuating levels since they are growing pretty quickly, so it makes sense that you would need to test so often. For me, my body seems to be overly sensitive, which is why I'm always feeling the need to test and make sure everything is ok! I

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this may sound like I am making this up but we just had a three day week-end, illness, and lots of testing. My older type 1 has 2 strips left, I had none, and the little pumper took 6 to school. I borrowed one of hers to test before heading off to work and will hit the pharmacy over lunch. Good post, it is like food and water, you just don't want to run out.
    Cheers. PS: Working with the Rhino still :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Valerie - thanks for your comment on my post today. We use about 400 strips per month but I have extra if you need them. We pump with OmniPod so we have Freestyle. I think MM uses One Touch - no? Let me know if you need any and I would be happy to ship them to you.

    We DO need food, water and test strips! :)

    I look forward to following you blog.

    L

    ReplyDelete